Sunday, December 1, 2013

Pumpkin Pie - Oh yum!

The pumpkin pie turned out particularly yummy this year so I'm recording what recipes I used to make sure I have it for next year.

For the crust, I used Pamela's Artisan flour blend and this recipe from Pamela's website:
Ingredients:
  • 2-1/2 cups Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend
  • 8 TBSP shortening- well chilled
  • 8 TBSP unsalted butter- well chilled
  • 1/3 cup ice water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Cream for brushing pie dough before baking (optional)
Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 425°.
Cut cold butter and shortening into 1/2" cubes. In separate bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, pastry blender, or using fingers, cut butter and shortening into dry mixture until pea sized crumbs are formed. Add ice water and mix until dough comes together. Use up to 1 TBSP additional water if needed.
Roll out dough between 2 pieces parchment or plastic wrap and fix in greased pie pan. For pre-baked shell: bake for 15 minutes at 425°, then turn down oven to 375° and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes or until brown. If filling, bake according to individual recipe (top with another sheet of rolled pie dough or decorative lattice). Brush the crust with cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar before baking, if desired.

The crust was easy to make and easy to work with. It makes 2 crusts, which in this case made 2 pies.

For the filling, I used a recipe off the can, which was different than what I've tried before, but it worked very well so I'll make it this way again.

For 2 pies (this is my version of what was on the can):
1 29 oz can pumpkin
1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
unsweetened vanilla almond milk (fill up the sweetened condensed milk can and pour it in)
1 cup egg beaters (equivalent of 4 eggs)
2 t cinnamon
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Pour the filling into pie crust. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Then reduce oven to 350 and bake 45 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Oh my yumminess! And notice that I cut the sugar in half by using only one can of sweetened condensed milk and unsweetened almond milk instead of 2 cans of sweetened condensed milk. It works better for my milk-sensitive stomach as well.

I hope this works for you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment