Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Yummy cookies - success!

I posted before about Hodgson Mill cookie mix.  I like it.  It's cheap ($2.xx at Walmart & WinCo), and it simplifies gluten free cookie making.  This mix includes the dry ingredients. You just add the wet ingredients.
Tonight I tried something new with it.

I followed the directions on the box for making peanut butter cookies.  I left out the egg yolks since I'm allergic and just used the whites and applesauce.

To the mix, I added:
1/2 cup butter, softened (I used 1 Best Life stick because it doesn't have dairy)
2 egg whites
1 1/2 T unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for about 14 minutes per batch.  Makes about 24 cookies.

I promise that applesauce is the secret to great gluten-free cookies.  It makes them moist but not sticky and takes away some of the gritty-ness that gluten free cookies sometimes have.  I think peanut butter helps too.  I can't taste the peanut butter strongly in these, but compared to this mix made without peanut butter, the texture is definitely better!


Don't they look like real cookies?  Go make some!

No comments:

Post a Comment