Thursday, May 6, 2010

The BEST gluten-free flour tortillas (from scratch)

Here's a recipe I posted on my family blog a few years ago and I'm resurrecting it.

Gluten-free flour tortillas
1 c rice flour
1/3 c corn starch
1/3 c tapioca flour
1/3 c sorghum flour
2 t xanthan gum
1 t baking powder
1/2 t sugar
1 1/4 t salt (probably too much if you're adding salty toppings but really yummy plain)
2 T vegetable or other shortening (I used butter-flavored Crisco b/c it's what I had)
3/4 to 1 c warm water
Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in the shortening using a pastry blender.Add the warm water, starting with 3/4 c and mix well.Continue to add water until a soft, cohesive dough is formed. I stopped before it got sticky so it was still a little crumbly but stuck together when I pressed it.This is my secret to rolling out gluten free dough. I have a very large glass cutting board that I dust with corn starch. I sprinkle a little corn starch on top of the dough and then roll with a rolling pin also dusted with corn starch.Cook one at a time on a hot lightly greased or sprayed skillet until the surface bubbles & it has brown flecks.Turn only once, and cook until the second side is slightly browned. This doesn't take very long.For the pan size I had, this made four tortillas, about twice as thick as a wrap tortilla when cooked - more like a thick soft taco tortilla (like a gordita maybe?). They do thicken a bit when they cook b/c of the baking powder. For me, it was hard to get them any thinner and still get them in the pan w/o breaking.The recipe says that these will freeze in a plastic bag for up to three months. I'm not sure they'll last past tonight...

I haven't posted in a while because I found out in December that I have additional food allergies and then I found out shortly thereafter that I'm pregnant with my 5th child. So I really haven't been doing much cooking and baking, but I'm hoping to get back into it now that food actually tastes good again (well, some of it).

No comments:

Post a Comment