Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gluten-free Betty Crocker and the BEST mint brownie topping

No, I didn't come up with a new nickname for myself...

My sister found this at Macey's in the cake section....the chocolate cake variety.

She made this chocolate cake & honestly I was thinking, "Are you sure this is gluten free????" This cake does not taste gluten free, has a very smooth texture (not grainy) and isn't super heavy or dense like most gf products. How does Betty Crocker do it?

To make this even better, my sister added my mom's mint brownie topping on top of the cake. It was super yummy....

Here's the recipe for the mint brownie topping:

Mint Cream Center:

2 cups powdered sugar

1 T water

3 drops green food coloring (optional)

1/2 c butter

1/2 t mint extract

Combine all ingredients. Beat until smooth.

Chocolate Topping:

6 T butter or margarine

1 c chocolate chips

Melt over slow heat. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly before spreading over mint cream.

Thanks, Natalie, for introducing me to a fun new dessert!

2 comments:

  1. To be perfectly honest, I still thought the GF ones tasted different. However, I think that is because we had both at the same time. I think the G kind are fudgier (which is my favorite consistency in dessert is a little undone or fudgy) and after eating the G kind and then eating GF kind, the cake tasted grainy. But I am freezing the portion you didn't take and that was left after the blessing lunch and I want to take it out in a couple weeks and snack on it and see if I can tell the difference...I think it was just because we had both at the same time so it was a natural comparison. I was at Maceys the other night and noticed that they are right next to the lemon bar and key lime bar mixes...and those microwavable desserts...so basically next to the cake mixes and they did have all the kinds they advertised...cookies, brownies, cakes, etc... :) Fun! I'm ready to experiment again! Glad you liked...I love the topping...basically I like the toppings on everything and now that I saw your lemon dessert recipe I am tempted to just make the filling (the lemony stuff you said is slighty too sweet) and just eat that...it's like scraping the top off a lemon bar...yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other thing is that you used a chocolate cake mix for the gf one and brownies for the gluten one so I would expect them to taste different. I would expect brownies to taste fudgier too, but I liked the cake with the topping...

    ReplyDelete