Monday, July 27, 2009

The BEST "scratch" pizza crust

This pizza crust earned the word "indulge" from my husband. I don't think he's ever used the word indulge with anything he's eaten that's gluten free....
I found the recipe online and changed it to suit the ingredients I had. I'll list it as I made it...

Gluten Free Pizza Crust
1 tablespoon dry yeast
1/3 c white rice flour
1/3 c millet flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 T sweet rice flour
2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
2/3 cup water (110 degrees F)
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
This is the best part - just mix all the ingredients at the same time in a mixing bowl & mix for 3 minutes. Then spread onto a sprayed pizza pan dusting the top liberally with rice flour so it's not too sticky to spread. I use my fingers to spread it. Cook for 8 minutes. Then flip it over and cook for 4 more minutes (believe it or not, this is what keeps it from being gummy & if you've ever had gf pizza crust, you probably know what I mean). Take it out, flip it back, & put your toppings on. Cook for 8-10 more minutes and take it out.
I hope you love this as much as we did! This is a little bit of a thin crispy crust type of thing. But, it's not gummy, gooey, eggy or spongey. It's de-lish!
This makes what I would call a medium pizza. I doubled the recipe and made breadsticks too. YUM!
Here is the original recipe from recipezaar if you want to experiment.
http://www.recipezaar.com/Gluten-Free-Pizza-Crust-44487

No comments:

Post a Comment