Friday, June 26, 2009

The BEST noodles/pasta

By far the best noodles I've tried are Tinkyada brown rice pasta. They have all of the pasta varieties - from spaghetti to elbow to ziti, etc. and they are available a lot of places. Our WalMart carries these in the pasta aisle. I also like that they are made from brown rice & many have rice bran so they're not just refined carbs.
If you like white rice noodles, I like Notta Pasta but have a hard time finding it in my area.
I also like Thai Kitchen white rice noodles (in the Asian food aisle), especially for stir fry but they're surprisingly passable (in a pinch) in place of spaghetti.
I've used DeBoles lasagna noodles for (obviously) lasagna with great results. They're the kind that you don't boil first - just bake it all together. Just make sure you bake the lasagna long enough so they're not crunchy. I've also frozen the unbaked lasagna and they work great that way too.
I don't like DeBoles noodles that you have to boil though. The boiling water turns to sludge & it's really hard to get the noodles cooked just right without having them disintegrate in the pan.
For Mac & Cheese (this is especially important if you have kids that like it!), I've decided that buying Tinkyada brown rice pasta and cheese sauce mix separate is the way to go. I bought bulk cheese powder at WalMart & cook Tinkyada brown rice elbows. This is very tasty, healthier, and much cheaper (in the long run) than buying a tiny box of gf mac n cheese for $3.
Annie's gf mac n cheese is actually pretty good for a one time thing though.
That's my take on noodles. Let me know if you've tried anything you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment