Saturday, June 27, 2009

the BEST stir fry

Since we had stir fry tonight, I thought I'd post my favorite recipe while I'm thinking about it.
This recipe uses a mild Thai-inspired peanut sauce similar to satay. For that reason, I usually make this with chicken.

First saute the meat of your choice (about a pound) in a deep nonstick pan or a wok. You can use spray or a little oil if you want. Or leave the meat out to make it vegetarian.
Add stir fry vegetables of your choice. I love Kirkland (Costco) frozen stir fry vegetables. It's a high quality mix with baby corn, pea pods, edamame, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, etc. Saute until the veggies are not frozen.
For the sauce, combine:
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth or beef, depending on what kind of meat you're using.
Mix a little broth into the cornstarch at a time so it doesn't get clumpy. Then add the other ingredients.
2 tablespoons gf soy sauce
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Dash pepper
Add this to the meat & veggies and cook until thickened.
My favorite way to serve this is over organic brown rice (yes, the really slow-cooking stuff but the flavor is so delicious!) with a few peanuts sprinkled on top for some crunch.
This serves 5-6 people but it really depends on serving size & quantity of meat/veggies used.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but I am not a pb fan with meat...but Jeff and Tavia like Thai, i think...isn't that kind of thai-foodish? Well, I am going to attempt my first intentional GF dessert for Michael's blessing...here's to hoping! :) I'm going to make the pound cake that's made with yellow cake mix and then has that cream cheese pudding topping with strawbabies...and then because at least half the family likes chocolate desserts I was going to try something GF and chocolate...I'm determined to do this! :)

    ReplyDelete